The members of the Buckaroo Band grew up enjoying the matinee cowboys, such as Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Wild Bill Hickok, The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, and The Texas Rangers. Today, in addition to singing the songs of our heros, we love to watch the reruns on the Western Channel and recall a simpler time in our history when right and wrong were not measured by polling a group of citizens.Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear as your read our cowboy heroes' codes, creeds, oaths, prayers, and rules.
Gene Autry's Cowboy Code of Honor
1. A cowboy never takes unfair advantage - even of an enemy.
2. A cowboy never betrays a trust. He never goes back on his word.
3. A cowboy always tells the truth.
4. A cowboy is kind and gentle to small children, old folks, and animals.
5. A cowboy is free from racial and religious intolerances.
6. A cowboy is always helpful when someone is in trouble.
7. A cowboy is always a good worker.
8. A cowboy respects womanhood, his parents and his nation's laws.
9. A cowboy is clean about his person in thought, word, and deed.
10. A cowboy is a Patriot.
Hopalong Cassidy's Creed for American Boys and Girls
1. The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty. Be truthful at all times.
2. Your parents are the best friends you have. Listen to them and obey their instructions.
3. If you want to be respected, you must respect others. Show good manners in every way.
4. Only through hard work and study can you succeed. Don't be lazy.
5. Your good deeds always come to light. So don't boast or be a show-off.
6. If you waste time or money today, you will regret it tomorrow. Practice thrift in all ways.
7. Many animals are good and loyal companions. Be friendly and kind to them.
8. A strong, healthy body is a precious gift. Be neat and clean.
9. Our country's laws are made for your protection. Observe them carefully.
10. Children in many foreign lands are less fortunate than you. Be glad and proud you are an American.
Wild Bill Hickok Deputy Marshal's Code of Conduct
1. I will be brave, but never careless.
2. I will obey my parents. They DO know best.
3. I will be neat and clean at all times.
4. I will be polite and courteous.
5. I will protect the weak and help them.
6. I will study hard.
7. I will be kind to animals and care for them.
8. I will respect my flag and my country.
9. I will attend my place of worship regularly.
The Lone Ranger Creed
I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one. That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world. That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself. In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right. That a man should make the most of what equipment he has. That "this government, of the people, by the people, and for the people," shall live always. That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number. That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken. That all things change, but the truth, and the truth alone lives on forever. I believe in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.
Roy Rogers Riders Club Rules
1. Be neat and clean.
2. Be courteous and polite.
3. Always obey your parents.
4. Protect the weak and help them.
5. Be brave, but never take chances.
6. Study hard, and learn all you can.
7. Be kind to animals and care for them.
8. Eat all your food and never waste any.
9. Love God and go to Sunday School regularly.
10. Always respect our flag, and country.
Roy Rogers Prayer
Lord, I reckon I'm not much just by myself, I fail to do a lot of things I ought to do. But Lord, when trails are steep and passes high, Help me ride it straight the whole way through.
And when in the falling dusk I get that final call, I do not care how many flowers they send, Above all else, the happiest trail would be For YOU to say to me, "Let's ride, My Friend" AMEN
Texas Rangers "Deputy Ranger" Oath
1. Be Alert
2. Be Obedient
3. Defend the Weak
4. Never Desert a Friend
5. Never Take Unfair Advantage
6. Be Neat
7. Be Truthful
8. Uphold Justice
9. Live Cleanly
10. Have Faith in God
And from our own Buckaroo Band Member - Bronco Brad’s Prayer
Lord, we do not ask for softness or ease With labor that’s hard let us be pleased For if it were easy how would we know Of the trail that you walked down here below
May we be thankful when you ring in for chuck, With no steers to brand and no broncos to buck, No more horses to hobble, no dogies to tend, No worry of stampede, no storm or wind.
When our last herd is circled, the last jingle bob’s rung Our last tall tale is told, our last song is sung. When our long day ends with the supper time fun May You greet us with a smile and say, “Well done!”